Andrew’s at the Westbrook Farm was originally built by Smallwood
“Bud” Redmon. Bud and his family homesteaded here from Kentucky. His
family gave the land that became the town of Redmon, Illinois. He
contracted the construction of his home in 1855. All of the bricks for
the grand home were made on site and, with the Civil War involvement,
the home took 11 years to complete. The home was completed in 1866 and
1867 and the Contractor and Carpenter signed and dated the backs of the
mantels as they finished each room. The names, "William Slanker
Contractor", "David D. Fisher, Carpenter," and Budd Readman, Employer"
can be found on the backs of the mantels. Bud Redmon died in 1869
leaving his estate and lovely home to his wife and two daughters.
The house was well built with double brick walls and dead air
space between the brick for insulation. Both outside and inside walls
are brick. There were 8 rooms in the original home. All rooms were 18
ft. x 18 ft. with fireplaces in all and closets beside each fireplace.
The ceilings downstairs are 12 ft. and upstairs are 10 ft.
Mr. Redmon was 49 years old when he died. He left a large
estate to his widow (formerly Barbara Perisho) and his two young
daughters, Oather and Bess Redmon. His estate consisted of 1600 acres of
land, 10 business buildings in Paris and $20,000 in cash. Mr. George
Morris, neighbor and friend, was made guardian for the girls, who were
quite lavish in their spending of money on clothes and parties. Mr.
Morris didn't approve of such spending and appealed to their mother. She
told him to let the girls have a good time as their father left them
Oather Redmon married Charles McCarty who had big ideas. He
built a racetrack on the west end of the farm and converted the barn
into a racehorse barn. He raise racehorses and kept a string of
racehorses at the farm. The doors of the fox stalls in the barn use to
have the names of the racers on them.
Bess Redmon married W.A. Summers. He was sheriff of Edgar
County later. Mr. and Mrs. Summers built the house, which is now the
front of the Masonic Temple in Paris, and also built the brick home just
west of the Paris Library.
When Oather McCarty died, she had only 80-160 acres and it
was mortgaged. At Mr Summers death, she had 240 acres, and a home in
Andy and Cyndi Patrick and their two daughters are proud to
call the lovely large brick house their home.